23 January 2008

Solid steel - 20th anniversary

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Solid Steel radio show we thought we would add our contribution to the archives started on their website (and http://www.bosbos.net/). Before the webcast and filesharing were around I was a listener from 93 to 96 when I lived in London and sleepily taped as much of the show as I could to listen to on my walkman throughout the next week. KISS broadcast Solid Steel from 2-4, then Manneseh's dub show from 4-6 and then Mixmaster Morris from 6-7. If only hard disc recording was around back then! I had to hope that the click of the tape stopping woke me up enough to flip it over (or put a new one in)!

This is from 'Solid steel - tape 11'. Date is unknown.

http://www.zshare.net/download/6744894fa84de8/

If anyone has any memories to share of the show, or details of the show/s I've added here please put a comment. Similarly with the Manneseh and Mixmaster Morris shows.

6 comments:

Solid Gold (ITTF) said...

In celebration... http://www.last.fm/event/720135

Anonymous said...

Hi,did you ever manage to find out the dates for these tapes,just wondering if they are one I don't have! Any chance you could put up links again?
thanks a lot

doooix said...

Nope. No idea. 1994-1996 is as close as I can get it. With hindsight I wouldn't have edited all the ads and links out so they would have been more of a historical record. As it is they're just great listening.

Any ideas of tracklistings?

doooix said...

When links expire here it's usually for ever. You'll find lots more Solid Steel coming shortly, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks,recognise a lot a tracks, will do you a setlist in next few days, think the most recent one is from 1994 by the looks of it.

I've just uploaded another old 1993 one to the MixingBowl.org if interested!

doooix said...

A setlist would be great! This is the sort of conversation I was hoping would get going when I started this blog (my fault for not promoting it more I guess!).

Thanks for reminding me about the mixing bowl - great site!

I have an obviously named Gmail account if you want to contact me offline, by the way.